A curious case of “freshman-itis”

Courtesy photo

These freshmen and other members of the class of 2026 are trying to push through to the end of the year and not give in to “freshman-itis.”

As the school year comes to a close, it can be noted that many students lose the drive and power they once had at the beginning of the year. This is usually depicted in seniors, known informally as senior-itis or the senior slide. But, this has been happening to this year’s freshman class.

As a Freshman myself, I can vouch for the class that it isn’t uncommon to lose motivation toward the end of the year, but that shouldn’t be used as an excuse to start slacking off.

Multiple teachers have noted the change in behavior and have spoken to classes about it. Yet, I seem to think they’re right. It’s just the way they go about saying it. Instead of calling this generation “lazy” and “technology addicted”, why not try to understand how draining it can be to be a high school student in this day and age?

This isn’t an excuse for us to slack off and be on our phones all day, but not everybody learns the same and it’s often hard to find the motivation. So, to the teachers and students, we have about 2 weeks left of school. It’s the home stretch, finish strong but we don’t blame you for being tired.

Lastly, to all the readers of the University Times, thank you for all the support through the 2022-2023 school year, we’ll be back next year with more amazing pieces. Have a good rest of the school year and an awesome summer!