46° Hartford, CT
The student newspaper of University High School.

University Times

University Times

University Times

Fall Sports Season: A Roller Coaster Ride for the Girls Volleyball Team, Reflects on Challenges and Growth

From victories to setbacks, the girls volleyball team’s journey was filled with ups and downs.

As the fall sports season comes to a close and we start with winter sports we decided to take a look into how the fall sports season went. The girls volleyball team had a 5:15 win, loss record.  

Coached by Mr. Dunn and Mr. Vavalle the two math teachers are like the dynamic duo. When asked how the varsity season went Mr. Dunn the varsity coach said that he thinks there were a lot of high and low points in the season and they struggled to win games. He mentioned how the team was really competitive and played some good volleyball towards the end of the season. 

When we asked Nyahn, an opposite for the team and one of the three departing seniors, how she thought the season went. She said she thought the season went well but it was really stressful and fun.

We asked Nyhani if she was going to keep playing in college, she said “It depends on how school and grades are going but I think I might want to.” We also asked Mia Perez, a middle for the team and a departing senior, if she was gonna keep playing in  college. She said “it depends on how much time I have I want to be an engineer and I’m going into engineering program, so I don’t know how much time they have like because it takes like everyday to study but I think interminably I’ll play like just as a club volleyball.” 

We asked Mr. Vavalle, the JV coach and Varsity assistant, how he thinks the JV season went and he responded that it was good and this season was a “growing pain” for the future seasons to come. We also asked Mr. Dunn and Mr Vavalle what he thinks the team could improve on and they both  responded with chemistry. Mr Dunn said “On Varsity we had a Freshman, Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors, so it can be a little tough when you get so many different years kind of trying to all work together. I think that we had a few players that played JV last year where this year is kind of their first time getting playing time on Varsity, so it feels like we didn’t always have that cohesiveness that you need to be successful. We started getting there by the end of the year to be totally honest and I think that next year that’s going to be a key is making sure that everyone’s the same page and we really develop that trust early on.”

There were four girls that were swing players or girls that played both JV and Varsity. One of them was Alexa Neil. We asked her how she felt paying varsity and JV and she said, “It was hard playing varsity and JV and I put more pressure on myself to improve and do well but I like playing on both teams as well.” Many swing players felt playing varsity and JV as it was fun but stressful.  When we asked Mr. Vavalle If he thought it was harder or easier for the swing players, he said, “I think JV was to go back to our other question I think JV was successful because it’s not about winning a JV game, it’s about making them better. Varsity was tough because they felt the pressure from last year and afterwards they were a different team.”

Overall the Varsity, JV  volleyball season was a learning experience for everybody and we can’t wait to see how next season goes.