57° Hartford, CT
The student newspaper of University High School.

University Times

University Times

University Times

Diversity Day at UHSSE: Celebrating Culture, Identity, and Community with Workshops and Guests!

Join the UHSSE Pride Club in Embracing Inclusivity and Diversity at Diversity Day!
Cybil Pappoe ’26

The UHSSE Pride Club has planned a Diversity Day in May, they have invited members of the Hartford area community to come and present workshops to students. Which focus on culture, identity and community. Members of the pride club have spoken about how the club promotes inclusivity and diversity within the school. 

“Pride Club is a safe place for all, and an important presence to have in our school.” said Pride Club advisor Joseph Tarantino. “Even just knowing that Pride Club exists might make an LGBTQ+ student feel more comfortable, and that’s the goal.” 

Ways that students can support the club’s initiatives include attending their events. Mr. Tarantino hopes that every seat for the Diversity Day workshops will be filled. They also launch a Pronoun Day in semester 1 to normalize a person’s pronouns and create more safe spaces within UHSSE. People can also be kind to each other, take care of each other, and support people who are in need. 

There will be fifteen guests on Diversity Day, from local organizations such as the New Britain YWCA, the Connecticut Black and Brown Student Union, Hartford Gay Men’s Chorus, and Kamora’s Culture Corner. Students from the Pride Club and UHSSE’s Black Student Union are also leading several of the workshops, and Mr. Tarantino said that he and the rest of the pride club are very proud of them for stepping up. 

Lastly, when asked how students with different backgrounds can come together to celebrate and appreciate diversity he said, “Talk to each other. Get to know Folks different from you.” He also wanted to emphasize that it is extremely important that you listen to understand, and don’t think you know someone till you’ve gotten to know them.