41° Hartford, CT
The student newspaper of University High School.

University Times

University Times

University Times

University High School Robotics Team gears up for the 2024 season with a new robot.

Robotics Team preparing for intense competitions.

When you think of sports at schools what do you think about? Usually sports are thought about as basketball, soccer, cross country or physical activities. But have you ever considered that robotics is a sport too? 

The robotics team at University High School is working on a new robot for the upcoming season! The game is given out on the first Saturday of the new year, which then gives teams 6 weeks to design, build, and program a robot to compete in competitions across the world. For the 2024 season the game is called Crescendo, which is a game that combines lots of teamwork and communication to complete. Robots have to shoot rings into a “speaker box” as well as push them into a small hole in the wall called the “amp”. The real challenge of the game is when the robot has to hang from a chain that is four feet off the ground. 

The team spent kickoff day on 6 January 2024 in the STEM center waiting for noon when the game would be released to the public. Some alumni came back to watch the game release with us before their winter break ended, and everyone overall just had fun. Currently the robotics team is working on designing a robot and building the game pieces. Our competitions this season will be at Hartford Public High School on March 2nd and 3rd, as well as at Wilby High School in Waterbury on March 9th and 10th.